[plug] Running Qmail

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Sun Sep 19 11:11:29 WST 1999

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Subba Rao wrote:
> Contents of rc file
> ===================
> #!/bin/sh
> # Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
Aaah, so that's the logging program you might want to investigate to
find where those long numbers are coming from, assuming they don't come
from qmail.

> Contents of qt file
> ===================
> supervise /var/lock/qmail-smtpd tcpserver -v -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u71 -g1001 0 25 \
>       rblsmtpd qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | setuidgid qmaill multilog | \
                                              ^^^^^^
>       setuidgid qmaill multilog -s5000000 -n5 /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd &
                  ^^^^^^

> After switching to user qmaild, I ran the "qt" script.
Now I don't know if this is a problem or not, but another, similar uid/gid
is mentioned in the script.

> After a little while, I executed "qt" again and got the message
> "/usr/local/bin/setuidgid: Permission denied"
I don't know what the qt script is meant to do, but it does run a program
called "supervise" with a /var/lock/* argument, which seems to imply that
it is meant to hang around. Are you sure you need to run it twice?
The error might come from having to competing copies running, but it looks
like an error message from your shell, implying that your userid doesn't
have permision to run "setuidgid". With a name like that, it sounds like
the program should only be run as root, but maybe not.

> Do I need to restart the system?
Do you have a hardware problem?
You might need to restart smail, or even your inetd. (or equivalent)

> I have also issued the command "telnet localhost 25" and got the following response.
> Trying 127.0.0.1
> telnet: Unabel to connect to remote host: Connection refused.
1. Does your loopback device exist
2. Is it firewalled
3. a. Would your hosts.* files let you access it
3. b. Can your tcp-wrapper resolv 127.0.0.1?
4. Does inetd or equiv let you access smail through that port?
5. Is smail actually bound to that port.

Hope something, somewhere in all this will help you, or at least give you
some clues.

-Greg