[plug] Running Qmail - Script and messages

blockley at environ.wa.gov.au blockley at environ.wa.gov.au
Tue Sep 21 08:44:48 WST 1999

On 20 Sep, Greg Mildenhall wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Subba Rao wrote:
>> It is not  a Slackware issue at all. I have installed several other packages
>> without a glitch. Qmail documentation is the problem.
> No, I'm not saying it's because of a broken Slackware package, just that
> you are having trouble doing manual installation of software and that you
> would escape a lot of that kind of trouble (not just with qmail, but in
> the future) if you used a distro with a package management system. In my
> experience, there are a lot of packages out there that require Unix
> know-how to install, and it is a lot easier to accquire that know-how on a
> system that begins in a working state for you to break as you go. :)

I agree with this.  Qmail in itself is probably much easier to set up
than sendmail.  However most distributions do all the hard work for you
and it usually works out of the box without too much hassles.  I have
set up Qmail a couple of times and it took a little effort to get it
all up and running but it wasn't too bad.

Cheers

Adrian

> Well, I shall reserve comment until I've tried it, but thank for the
> heads-up.

Adrian Blockley (blockley at environ.wa.gov.au) |       Westralia Square,
Department of Environmental Protection       |       141 St George's Tce
Ph:  61 8 9222 7165			     |       Perth 6000
Fax: 61 8 9321 5184 			     |