[plug] Sound or Network Card

Jamie Moir moir at opera.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 23 17:11:12 WST 1999

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Nick Bannon wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 04:40:41PM +0800, Jamie Moir wrote:

> > behaved, even under windows heh
>
> Wow. ::-)

yeah, it makes me happy/not have to cry at least  :)

> I consistently have real problems installing recent network cards under
> Windows. Win95 OSR2, cheap crappy cards and good name brand cards. All
> PnP, all with latest downloaded drivers, they just require an inordinate
> amount of fiddling to get running. Sometimes nothing I do works and then
> I move it from one slot to another, it magically Plugs and Prays again
> and then it works. All through this, the vendor diagnostics program
> insists everything is fine even though nothing else will have a bar of it.

tell me about it, i just sent a laptop off that belonged to work as the
pos was just giving me the shits about pcmcia, its all fine, it all looks
ok, NOTHING WORKS, some poor sucker is fixing it for money, i just couldnt
be bothered 'facing the taint' anymore today :)

> If I do a Linux floppy boot just to test the hardware it invariably
> works perfectly.
>
> <sigh>

heh, yup :)

> 3c905 (or 3c905B or 3c905C). Always easy to slip up on those 3Com model
> numbers. ::-)

just replaced a 3509b with a netgear with a real tulip in it :)

> > ive heard very mixed reports about reliability under linux with these
> > cards, id personally be quite cautious about touching one
>
> I've seen a few very very solid production servers using them with no
> worries at all. Mind you, same thing goes for the tulips and at half
> the price, the choice is clear. ::-)

ok, please allow me to place the spanner in the works, we have a sco
[ughugh] server at work, with a netgear tulip real tulip it ran like a
dog, with a 3com905 in its GREAT, well as good as sco ever gets mutter

Jamie