[plug] Sound or Network Card

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Thu Sep 23 23:48:18 WST 1999

> Really, I probably am better off keeping my existing NIC and
> replacing the sound card. I'll replace my NIC later if I ever
> need to implement a 10/100BaseT network (ie. if I ever build a new
> house and have the money left over to put in a patch panel and
> wire up every room - maybe I should get an Austel license :-)

I have three, sometimes four computers here on a LAN. It's coax (10 base)
except for one select pari that have their own wire; 100 base and SMC
Etherpower IIs (epic 100s) at each end. No hup or other fancy dodads, I
have a crossover cable.

It's fast enough I don't care much where the disks are; local disks and
remote disks feel about the same speed.

As others have noted, fast NICs are quite cheap now. Don't get a hub
unless you gotta. If I want to wire another computer on the fast lane, two
NICs is still cheaper than a fast hub, and I'd need one anyway.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield