[plug] Sound or Network Card

brian coleman bigbrianc at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 24 09:40:38 WST 1999

Jamie,

If you listen for long enough you'll hear bad reports about just about any
hardware. Personally I've found that I can make most of them work providing
I follow the instructions, (RTFM), though people like netgear who change
chipsets without changing model numbers do not help.

On another comment in this thread about 10/100 ethernet cards. You can pick
up 10 Mhz cards for 4 for $10 and 8 port hubs for $40-50 around the swap
meets at the moment. This seems a pretty good deal to me considering most
PC's can't handle data transfers at this rate anyhow and most home networks
would never have more than one transfers going at a time.

Oops I've assumed cat5 cables. If you use coax you can still get the cards
for the same price and all you need is the cables and T-pieces which should
be more than adequate for a 4-5 station network.

Brian Coleman