[plug] Soundcards for Linux

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Sep 24 11:22:03 WST 1999

Jamie Moir wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Bill Cullen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just went out and bought a new MB (ASUS P3B-F) to run Linux
> > and Solaris (I've been needing a new one for a while and wanted
> > to get in before the price rises after the earthquake in Taiwan.
> > I discovered when I got home that this card only has 1 ISA slot
> > (hmm, maybe I should have bought another ABIT instead).
>
> ugh, i wont even run sol on my sparcs :P
>
> > Creative Sound Blaster Vibra 128 PCI - $65**SPECIAL**
> > Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 PCI - $65
>
> both use the es1371 or 1370 chipsets, they rock, im a fan, they have both
> alsa and kernel modules and work really smoothly, dont quote me on the 128
> but i have/am using a clabs pci 64, its also the ensonic audio pci with a
> different sticker on it
>
> > Creative Sound Blaster LIVE! Retail Kit - $410
> > Creative Sound Blaster LIVE! Value OEM - $140
>
> i havent used one BUT they have pretty crappy support, i wouldnt touch one
> with a bargepole heh

Unfortunately, it is damn good tech! I'm rather impressed by the upgradeability
of the SB Live's LiveWare; a software-release, that basically upgrades your
hardware! It's just that Creative are too scummy to give out specs, and their
Linux support leaves much to be desired.

Does anyone know of an alternative to the SBLive or MX300 which has reasonable
free Linux support, with similar features? ie;
  - PCI
  - 4 channel out support (for better surround; 2 rear & 2 front)
  - Multi-channel audio
  - 3D Positioning, w. supported API's

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :