[plug] Work Query ...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Sep 29 19:16:57 WST 1999

GB wrote:

> We students are bit too much eh Trevor??

Students? What're they? ^_^
I don't get much DIRECT contact with students. Mostly staff in other
departments. Sometimes I wonder if Students wouldn't be easier to deal with...

> Or is it the archaic (glacially slow) hardware (cgi server and lab machines)
> getting you down?

> Just joking (about asking your motivation), none of my business.

That's OK. ^_^
Murdoch has gone deeper into the realm of Fund Cuts, meaning there's little
room for promotion, training, extra staff, etc... I'm quite happy with the job,
but working for a Uni, there's always the allure of real Businesses and a real
income. Personally, I prefer the more relaxed atmosphere, and quick Internet
access, but there's a balance between it, and right now, we're battling to get
what we need.

One case was the Exam Results fiasco, where we got bagged for the machine
falling down over the weight of hungry students after their results. We did
everything we could, but there's only so much you CAN do with certain
hardware...

Skilled people are starting to Migrate, and the higher-up's just don't seem to
realise how hard it'll be to get a decent replacement in at the price they're
paying...

Anyway, enough bitching about work. ^_^;;;

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :