[plug] syslogd question

Chris Griffin chrisg at doladns.dola.wa.gov.au
Mon Apr 3 15:41:00 WST 2000

On My RedHat 6.1 DNS I have also installed syslogd. I want it to log all
the normal things in the normal way. It does.
I would also like to get it to log messages from our routers and switches
to a different file, say /var/log/cisco.log.
At present this function is done on a Solaris system that has the following
line in the /etc/syslog.conf file:

*.debug                    /var/adm/log/cisco.log

On the Solaris system I only seem to get the router/switch messages in the
cisco.log whereas on my Linux box I seem to get a lot of other messages as
well.

Any thoughts on how I can restrict output to cisco.log to only get the
relevant messages?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Chris Griffin

                               \\\___///
                               \\  - -  //
                                (  @ @  )
+----------------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------+
| Chris Griffin, Senior Network Engineer                |
| Email: chris.griffin at mitswa.com.au                    |
| Managed Information Technology Solutions (M.I.T.S)    |
| 1st Floor, Batholomew House, 31 Ventnor Avenue,       |
| West Perth W.A. 6005                                  |
| PH: +61 (08) 9481-4066  FAX: +61 (08) 9481-4064       |
I haven't lost my mind -     oooO   (   )
- it's backed up on tape    (   )    ) /
   somewhere.                 \ (    (_/
                               \_)