[plug] Redhat linux: how hard to make it Danish char set?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sat Apr 8 22:05:53 WST 2000

[Tamara Thompson]
> I've found a few howto's on Danish char sets, but in general, what
> am I facing if I consider turning this redhat box into a Danish char
> set?
>
> Any experience/advice would be appreciated. (I'm not really sure
> even of the magnitude of changing char sets...)

I'm not sure what you mean by configuring the box for Danish.  I'm
from Norway, and should know. :-)

If you only want to change to Danish keyboard and start using ISO
8859/1 (Latin1 - northern European char set used by all Nordic
countries), the configuration change is straight forward.  If you in
addition want to run the program with Danish locale, setting 'LANG=da'
or 'LANG=da_DK' before running the program should do the trick.
(Personally I never set the system up to use Norwegian locale.  To
many strange things happens - badly translated error messages and
scripts expecting dates etc. formatted differently :-)

What you really need to test is if your program is 8-bit safe, and can
handle 8-bit characters like æøå. :-)
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere at td.org.uit.no