[plug] Getting modems to talk fast ....

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Apr 10 09:46:36 WST 2000

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Mark J Gaynor wrote:

> Is it possible to get two lightspeed 56k flex/v90 modems to
> talk to each other at speeds faster than 33k

No, that would be impossible.

> Any thoughts are welcome. I have sucessfully connected to an
> ISP's box at 50k. Is there something different about these boxes
> that ordinary modems don't have.

Yes, they plug into the exchange via a digital link (ISDN) as opposed to
the analog lines modems use.

This means data you receive from the ISP doesn't need to be converted from
analog to digital, which is where most of the bandwidth is lost.

For more information see http://www.v90.com/
(specifically http://www.v90.com/whatis.htm and
http://www.v90.com/v90magic.htm)

 - Matt