[plug] Password Composition

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon Apr 10 14:09:33 WST 2000

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 02:05:28PM +0800, Earnshaw, Mike wrote:

> This was not the password, it contained these characters. I double and
> triple checked my typing to the extent I thought maybe I was insane, I am
> sure this was not my error (I know we have heard this a thousand times from
> users ...)

Ah, sorry, I misinterpreted what you wrote.  Either way, you can
definitely include these characters in passwords so the error was yours.
BTW, if you weren't using the MD5 crypt() then only the first eight
characters would actually count which *may* have contributed to the
mistake.

> The password was 12 characters long, with common letters substituted i.e.
> "@" for "a", "#" for "e" etc.

These simple substitutions are also generally not advisable.

Regards,

Christian.