[plug] Hardware RAID & RH6.x

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Apr 17 13:21:33 WST 2000

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Earnshaw, Mike wrote:

> for recommendations or advice on which cards to use. Currently checked out
> DPT (RH 5.2 support) and Adaptec (no mention of Linux support).

Don't buy a card, use the kernel support and do software raid.
You should get comparable performance, so long as you have only 1 drive
per IDE channel.
(ie have them as Primary Master (hda) and Secondary Master (hdc) and don't
 have any slaves)

> This box will become our major fileshare and I would like to Raid5 with
> 18.2Gb drives. Any comments welcome.

See the HOWTO at:
http://www.linux.org.au/LDP/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

 - Matt