[plug] S3 Trio3D AGP

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed Apr 26 12:51:33 WST 2000

G'day Christian,

> Does anyone have any experience getting an S3 Trio 3D AGP card to work
> under XFree86 (3.3.6)?  According to all the docs it *should* work fine
> but it just doesn't: the X server starts and apparently runs fine but
> won't display anything beyond a blank screen.  At this stage I'm
> thinking of trying the framebuffer device (which I've seen some
> indication may work with this card based on posts to various mailing
> lists) but I don't really understand why the card doesn't work with the
> standard XF86 SVGA server.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had been playing around with a box that had one of those video cards. I had
nothing but troubles (using upto XFree86 3.3.6). It seemed to only work at one
bit depth and a couple resolutions (which I can't remember sorry). Other bit
depths and resolutions resulted in a corrupt display such as a single colour,
black/white banding etc...

Although most of the S3 Trio cards work OK, the 3D one doesn't - find
something else.

Later,

Jason Nicholls
Jason Nicholls    icq: 11745841	   email: <jason at mindsocket.com.au>