[plug] PHP & code

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Aug 1 13:44:41 WST 2000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Brian Tombleson wrote:

> If I develop software, there's two prices: one if I retain complete
> ownership of code, another if they wish ownership.
>
> lawyers) when you re-use parts of code for future projects.  If the customer
> doesn't want to pay for the routines and formats I've developed in writing
> their software, then I can sell it cheaper and then re-use the code, re-sell

Just to confuse the issue even more:

What happens if you develop a piece of software for a client who pays the
cheaper price, so you retain ownership of the code, and then another
client wants software to do an identical (or at least very similar) job
but wants ownership of the final product?

Would it not mean that you would not be allowed to reuse _any_ code from
your previous contract (even though you own it) because you can't
exclusively sell something that has already been sold before?

 - Matt