[plug] Intellectual Property (was Re: [plug] PHP)

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Wed Aug 2 21:25:25 WST 2000

At 05:00 3/08/00, Mike from West Australia wrote:
> >>The person who writes the code owns the code irrespective of who paid
> >>for it.
>
>The exception is employees (not under contract)...

An exception but not the only one.  There have been incidents where the
originator of the work owns the rights.

There was a legal dispute a few years ago involving a client that hired a
photographer (under contract) to do some work for them.  There was no
mention of who owned the copyright in the contract.  The photographer
believed he did.  The court found otherwise.

If in doubt consult your chosen legal professional.

As my PA regularly reminds me, intellectual property laws are
complicated.  Who owns what often comes down to who has the bigger wallet.

Standard disclaimer: IANAL.

skribe
	Purity:                           62.0%
	Corruption:                    38.0%
	Insanity:                        36.3636363636364%
	Weirdness factor:           31%
	Experience Level:           JonKatz Wannabe
	Medieval Career:            Black Knight