[plug] Why not GPL it ? [was Intellectual Property]

Michael Hunt Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net
Thu Aug 3 04:10:18 WST 2000

> At 08:54 PM 2/8/2000 +0800, you wrote:
> >on this subject, if i creat, devolop and design somthing thats
> related to my
> >work during my own time do I or my employer own the rights to what I've
> >created.(even if I didnt get paid for it). I rember reading some where
> that my
> >employer does , unless its totally unrelated to work. is this correct ?
>
> Depends whether you are an employee or 'independent contractor'...
>
> If you are an employee then you need a 'strategy', if you are an
> independent
> contractor you'd only be there for any length of time if you have a
> strategy...

Ok so shouldn't the strategy be that we write the software under an Open
Source style licence so that the intellectual property issue becomes a non
issue. You then get to support a brilliant product by the very nature that
Open Source is so much better than a closed source solution could ever
attempt to be !!!

Or hasn't the open source software mentality really hit us and we are just
using Linux because its free (and everyone likes a free beer !!!!)

I am playing the Devils advocate here and this is not to flame anyone about
the pros or cons of open source/closed source. I am interested in hearing
weather the "professional" programmers on this list (ok we define
professional here as being paid just like pro golf and amateur golf), think
about the whole issue with regards to this issue. Do you argue the pros and
cons of open source v's closed with potential clients, or d you just accept
a closed source solution in return for cash (i.e sell your soul *grin*),
Please remember no disrespect meant here and I hope none will be taken

(This post has made the original post somewhat irrelevant by totally
changing the topic if I remember correctly. My apologies but I think the
question may get a better answer if we discuss some of these other issues).

Michael Hunt

Less than 1 week left in England
Near totally cut of from the internet for a year in West Africa