[plug] Initialisation and default routes

John Breen jbreen at wn.com.au
Thu Aug 3 08:53:39 WST 2000

I'm setting up a linux box (yes, ANOTHER one) to connect to the
internet.  I've got the dialup working fine with chat and pppd.  More
or less.

What happens is that pppd comes up "not replacing existing default
route..."  It seems that the startup scripts, in their infinite
wisdom, add a default route through my ethernet card, which pppd
simply can't replace with the new default route to my ISP.  This is
mentioned in the ppp-howto, with notes to the effect that somewhere
in the startup scripts will be the line

route add default gw 192.168.1.254 eth0

or something very similar.  Not, I suspect (after searching), under
RH.  So, the question I have is how do I stop the startup making the
default route out through my ethernet card, and instead get it to put
in something more sensible, like a route to my local network?