[plug] Apt-Get

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 3 15:27:05 WST 2000

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 02:31:13PM +0800, Shane Spina wrote:
> Hi and thankyou for the subscription.
>
> I would like to know if there is a way to point apt-get to put the
> packages onto another drive as my main drive has very little room left.
>
> Best regards and thankyou in advance

Yes - normally they're kept in /var/cache/apt/archives . You can
probably change this by setting Dir::Cache::archives in your apt.conf
file, though I haven't done that myself. Worst case, if you had free
space on /space, for example, you could ;
  mv /var/cache/apt/archives /space/aptarchives
  ln -s /space/aptarchives /var/cache/apt/archives

However, simply cleaning it out on occasion ("apt-get clean") may be
all that you require.

It's advisable to keep a reasonable amount of free space on /var if
possible, because this is the sort of thing that can use it up
unexpectedly.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal