[plug] Intellectual Property

alan howard alanh at wn.com.au
Thu Aug 3 18:47:06 WST 2000

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Bret Busby wrote:
> > alan howard wrote:

> >> on this subject, if i creat[e], devolop and design
> >> som[e]thing that[']s related to my work during my own
> >> time do I or my employer own the rights to what I've
> >> created. (even if I didnt get paid for it). I rem[em]ber
> >> reading some where that my employer does , unless its
> >> totally unrelated to work. is this correct ?
>
> > Correct
..
my question here was generic, ie not just applying to software , but hardware
as well.
several years ago I designed a ultra low THD Linear UHF power
amplifier for digital TV during my spare time at home,. my question here is do
I own the rights to it or does my previous employer ,(who I was employed by
at the time) or my current employer, or do I. ( sorry for being off subject).

  > Sorry, Alex is right, the MBA book is lying. It's been tested in >
practice and the author owns the software, regardless of whether it was >
written at home or at work. If this worries your employer, sign (and > date) a
document saying that you resign all rights to the software in > favour of the
employer (or, grant unlimited rights of use and, > modification, copying and
distribution to the employer). The document > must nominate *specific* items of
software, a general disclaimer is not > much use in court. >