[plug] Ok, the next question...

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Aug 4 14:57:53 WST 2000

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:

> Having said that I've not had a nice time with diald :(

I've avoided diald.

I either set the machine up as permanent or semi-permanent (see my earlier
message) or provide "dial" and "hangup" accounts on the box with telnet
installed on the windoze machines so they can telnet in and make the box
dial or hang up (providing they know the password)

With the (semi-)permanent option, I provide a "ChkModem" script that pings
an IP at wasp and dials the connection if the ping times out.
I then run that script at regular intervals from /etc/crontab which means
it's really easy to specify dial-in and hangup times.

eg. for an 8am to 6pm Mon-Fri connection:

* 8-17	* * 1-5	root	ChkModem
0 18	* * 1-5	root	killall pppd

 - Matt