[plug] Ok, the next question...

John Breen jbreen at wn.com.au
Fri Aug 4 15:34:52 WST 2000

>I found a ping to a known host in the ISP's network a good option.
>Then you
>create a desktop icon for the windows users that just ping the IP of
>that
>host.  no DNS etc etc a few seconds later the link comes up and all
>is happy
>:)

Hmmm... that could be OK if I'm sitting at the winblows box, but I
want to led RH get my mail at midnight and put it in my local mailbox.
Still, I suppose a ping would be OK.

I had actually thought of setting up a script that calls pppd to
start the link, looks for a process ID for pppd, and the lack of one
for chat and then calls fetchmail and sendmail -q.

>Having said that I've not had a nice time with diald :(

At the risk of sounding stupid (but hey, I should be used to that by
now...), IS there something else that does the same job?