[plug] re: dial-up problem

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Aug 4 17:17:36 WST 2000

On 4 Aug 2000 jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au wrote:

> I'm having a problem with connecting to my dial-up Linux server from
> my home office.  Just recently it has started to drop the connection
> after being up for about 3-5 minutes.  Where in the server should I
> begin to look I've looked at the message log and cannot see anything
> that is unusual.

Jon,
you may need to run pppd with the 'debug' option, so it logs more info. Do
you know where pppd is run from. Adding 'debug' to /etc/pppd/options
should do it.
 Are you running linux on both ends?
If it turns out that the modem is hanging up, use minicom (terminal
emulator) to ask it the reason. ( "ATI6" on my USR )

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--