[plug] re: dial-up problem

jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Fri Aug 4 17:26:31 WST 2000

Mike,
Yes I too am using USRs on both sides, however the home unit is a Win98 PC dialing into the Linux, so there is no Linux at the home  location.  That will come later when I can figure out how to get the two to connect and have a Linux network at home with a Win98 PC to handle what my wife wants.

> ** Original Subject: RE: [plug] re: dial-up problem
> ** Original Sender: Mike Holland <myk at golden.wattle.id.au>
> ** Original Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 17:20:00 +0800

> ** Original Message follows...

> On 4 Aug 2000 jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au wrote:
>
> > I'm having a problem with connecting to my dial-up Linux server from
> > my home office.  Just recently it has started to drop the connection
> > after being up for about 3-5 minutes.  Where in the server should I
> > begin to look I've looked at the message log and cannot see anything
> > that is unusual.
>
> Jon,
> you may need to run pppd with the 'debug' option, so it logs more info. Do
> you know where pppd is run from. Adding 'debug' to /etc/pppd/options
> should do it.
>  Are you running linux on both ends?
> If it turns out that the modem is hanging up, use minicom (terminal
> emulator) to ask it the reason. ( "ATI6" on my USR )
>
> --
> Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
>                           --==--

Jon L. Miller