[plug] XDM and xinitrc

Subba Rao subb3 at attglobal.net
Mon Aug 7 03:45:35 WST 2000

On  0, Christian <christian at amnet.net.au> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 08:45:10PM -0400, Subba Rao wrote:
> > I use XDM to start my X-Window sessions. My window manager is FVWM2.
> > I have $HOME/.fvwm2rc which is being read when FVWM starts. I have my .xinitrc
> > in $HOME, which is not being read. I have some customizations which are not
> > being executed. When I try to modify the global xinitrc, then after login I get
> > one xclock, the wallpaper and nothing else.
> > What should I do or check to get $HOME/.xinitrc to be executed?
>
> This is covered in the manual.  In short, if you run xinit (==startx)
> from the shell then xinitrc gets executed.  If you start X via xdm then
> your ~/.xsession file gets executed.  Obvious solution would be to link
> .xinitrc to .xsession.

Thank you for replying! I tried to edit the /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession file with no results.
I tried to copy the file as ~/.xsession and even tried to link .xinitrc to .xsession.
None of these changes are executing my local customizations.

I prefer to have customizations to the local file rather than the global file.

--

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com