[plug] Missing opera

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Mon Aug 7 16:14:09 WST 2000

A tale:

Upon reading the adsl prices I thought, ambitiously, that I'd check to see
if iinet has any news regarding adsl.  So I typed in the address
www.iinet.net.au, hit return and got back a host not found error. I
rechecked my spelling, nothing wrong there, no ,'s instead of .'s or
anything, hit return again and got the same error.  I tried a different
machine.  Same.  My modem must have dropped.  Flick switch, click, modem
dials in, screech, connection. Ping www.iinet.net.au.  Hostname doesn't
exist.  Ping opera.iinet.net.au.  Hostname doesn't exist.  DNS must be
screwy.  I had a problem with it once before.  Restart it.  No
difference.  Try tracerouting to grunge.  Works.  Try opera.  Doesn't
exist.  Try classic, swing, motown.  All work.  Try pop.  It works.  Pop =
opera.  It even tells me that the machine is opera.iinet.net.au.  Try opera
again.  Opera works.  Woohoo! me thinks.  Try www.  Still dead.  Try
www.ii.net.  It works.  Ring iinet.  Tell them the problem.  "Oh no, it's
fine on our end," they say.  And I was having such a nice day too =).

Thought I'd share that.  NE1 know why it's happening?

skribe
	Purity:                           62.0%
	Corruption:                    38.0%
	Insanity:                        36.3636363636364%
	Weirdness factor:           31%
	Experience Level:           JonKatz Wannabe
	Medieval Career:            Black Knight