[plug] Telstra's ADSL pricing is available

Bradley Woodward sweenytod at sweenytod.com
Mon Aug 7 16:22:50 WST 2000

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000, Leon Blackwell wrote:

> Well, after reading over the basics, I decided to go through the
> "Acceptable Use Policy"... and, ladies and gentlemen, my official
> word is "it sucks".

Why am I not surprised.  From memory, it was over 12 months before Telstra's
cable users had unlimited access, without being subjected to restricrtive
firewall rules.

> For volume-based accounts, there aren't any real problems... but
> for unlimited accounts, you are not only not allowed to run servers
> (ftp, chat, etc -- expected, but annoying), but you are also *not*
> allowed to connect a local LAN to your ADSL modem.  You have to pay
> them extra to get additional users, and you can only have a maximum
> of three users for the unlimited plans.

I'm reading it now, and the "delux" business account has a volume cap of 500
MB.  Excuse me, McFly, Hello!  My company uses around 5 gig a month.  This is
just insane.  Telstra have developed a service that is pratically unusable by
anybody who does more than check email and read snoopy.com.  Heck, I'm stuck
behind a 33.6k modem link, and I go through more than 250 MB a month.

>> Let's just hope the other ISPs do a better job of this...

I can't believe I was so stupid to let myself get excited by this.  How could
I have been so dumb as to think Telstra would get it right....