[plug] netscape, bogomips, intellectual property, doze fdisk and format

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Aug 7 21:14:20 WST 2000

alan howard wrote:
> Re: [plug] Netscape now unreliable
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2000, Leon Brooks wrote:
> > BillK wrote:
>>> I have just upgraded netscape to 4.74 on Mandrake 7.1 (using the built
>>> in Mandrake Update) and suddenly have a real reliability problem.  The
>>> previous version (4.73?) wasnt particularly good, especially compared to
>>> whatever version came with MD 7.0, but was usable, now it seizes with
>>> monotonous regularity (netscape-communicator process in runaway, doesnt
>>> come back).  Running 3 or more NS windows open at a time is now
>>> impossible.  Has anyone heard of any ideas/solutions as I cannot pin it
>>> down.  In particular, has anyone with a similar setup have problems like
>>> this?

>> [ I (Leon) suggested downgrading NS ]

> leon, I also have a simmilar problem , that only started when I up
> graded from a 2.2.9 kernel to a 2.2.14 kernel. I have tried netscape
> 4.6, 4.7 , 4.71, 4.72, 4.73, and am now on 4.74. all seem to have
> the same problem. It just locks up and I end up killing it and
> re-starting netscape.

I'm running Communicator 4.73 under XFree86 4.0 (on a Banshee), kernel
version 2.2.15 (really must upgrade that soon, o a K6-II-300), a
Mandrake 7.1beta3 install, and it's the stablest Netscape I've ever
seen. I've only ever jammed it about four times, and had it
spontaneously disappear about twice that I can remember.

If you're feeling brave, next Tuesday night I'll grab a Cooker snapshot
(kernel-2.2.17preSomething and the option of
hackkernel-2.4.0preSomething, XFree86-4.0.1, PHP-4, Apache-2, GIMP-1.1
etc) and am planning on upgrading to that (by backing up /etc,
preserving /home and /usr/local/ partitions (but backing them up on the
wife's disk for good luck), and reinstalling from scratch). If it works
well for me, you might want to follow suit.

--
Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?