[plug] kernel options - search sequence

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Tue Aug 8 10:28:09 WST 2000

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 09:04:31PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> John Breen wrote:
> > Is there a document that details kernel options and how
> > they've changed from version to version.
>
> The bootparam man page. Failing that, make sure kernel sources are
> installed and look in the Documentation subdirectory.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the question but I think John is asking for
kernel compilation options, not boot parameters.  As far as I know the
only details on these are in the help available in make (x|menu)?config
and in the source themselves.  As for boot parameters, the bootparam(7)
manual page is probably fine if you're after ordinary run-of-the-mill
standard parameters that have been around forever but if you're after
the latest additions/changes then the manual page is almost certainly
out of date.  There is, however, a howto online which is probably a
little more up to date otherwise there's always the kernel sources
themselves (the authoritative answer).  Compared with the BSD kernels,
the Linux kernel is very badly documented.

Regards,

Christian.