[plug] re: login problems

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Wed Aug 9 07:48:33 WST 2000

> Aug  8 16:41:04 gateway ipop3d[9965]: Login failure user=dwilkinson
host=[192.168.2.11]
> Aug  8 16:41:10 gateway ipop3d[9965]: Command stream end of file while
reading line

As Mike pointed out, this error often indicates that the mail client has
unexpectedly disconnected.  However, you can see in the first line that the
client is failing to reconnect (Login failure user=...).

I have seen this error when someone reconnects after a disconnection that
terminated their email download.  I interpret it as the server failing to
recognise that the first session is finished, and then having to deal with
the client logging on again.  I have found that leaving it for about 20 - 30
minutes fixes the problem and the client can log in again.  I think it may
also be possible to generate the same error by pressing the "Send and
Receive" button on the client while a mail download is already in progress.

My observations relate to the pop3 server that comes in the imap package of
Redhat.  Other Pop3 servers  probably behave differently.  Unfortunately,
with the RedHat server, there are no configurable settings (such as client
time-out).

I would suggest getting the client to try again after leaving it for half an
hour.

I would be interested to see if other people have similar problems with
other pop servers as this is my only gripe with the Redhat one.

I hope this helps.
Colin Rothnie