[plug] mike, rtc

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Aug 9 09:26:52 WST 2000

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Mike from West Australia wrote:

> At 07:05 PM 8/8/2000 +0800, you wrote:
> >appologies, it seems kmail , for its own reasons(?) decided that all
> >your mail was posted " thu jan1 08:00:00 1970 ". I have no idea why. it
> >was only your postings that were affected.
>
> the same thing happen - as I have nothing special on at my end, just
> a normal wantree email account ~`:

Actually I think it might be due to your mail client, rather than your ISP
When you post a message, your mail client does not add a +XXXX to the date
stamp, to denote the number of hours from GMT (+0800 for Perth) and
suspect kmail might expect the Date header to contain that, and as a
result fails to parse the header entirely, so you get a datestamp of 0,
aka 00:00 Jan 1 1970 GMT (which kmail then adds 8 hours to to give Perth
time)

> Incidentally this is in your header:-

I think you'll find all your emails contain that now, and that it's a
"feature" of the iiNet mail system.

> Looks like some string pointers aren't being set correctly, or
> whatever,

I think it's just iiNet trying to work out which local address to send the
email to.

 - Matt