[plug] defunct process won't die

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Wed Aug 9 11:20:20 WST 2000

I'm having trouble killing a couple of netscape processes after a netscape
4.51 crashed on me.

   # ps ax|grep netsca

   21989 ?        DW     0:24 [netscape-commun]
   21999 ?        Z      0:00 [netscape-commun <defunct>]

All the things that usually work for me have no effect on these pids (kill
-9 etc) and one seems to be taking up some cpu time. (Netscape app not
running at this point.)

Does anyone know how to nail these critters without a reboot?

cheers,

Dave.

  David Griffiths                             griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection          Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia