[plug] defunct process won't die

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Wed Aug 9 11:32:39 WST 2000

David,

Ummm....on reflection, my last post was probably a bit brief.
Your question really relates to a similar question "How do I kill a zombie
process"

The short answer is find its parent (with ps -fauwx) and kill it. If it
appears to have no parent, that's because init has taken over from the
slovenly parent who is no longer talking to the child. Sending a hangup to
init (kill -s SIGHUP 1) should clean up the zombie.

Steve