[plug] defunct process won't die

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Wed Aug 9 13:06:33 WST 2000

>David,
>
>Ummm....on reflection, my last post was probably a bit brief.
>Your question really relates to a similar question "How do I kill a zombie
>process"
>
>The short answer is find its parent (with ps -fauwx) and kill it. If it
>appears to have no parent, that's because init has taken over from the
>slovenly parent who is no longer talking to the child. Sending a hangup to
>init (kill -s SIGHUP 1) should clean up the zombie.
>
>Steve

Thanks for the help Steve.

>    21989 ?        DW     0:24 [netscape-commun]
>    21999 ?        Z      0:00 [netscape-commun <defunct>]

the ppid for 21999 is 21989
and ppid for 21989 is 1   as you suspected.

However a
    kill -HUP 1
does it's thing OK, but still leaves the two gremlin processess around.
(kill -s SIGHUP 1 complains about "s" being an unknown signal).

Any further ideas very welcome!

cheers,

Dave.

  David Griffiths                             griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection          Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia