[plug] Device Control By Users

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Aug 11 09:45:14 WST 2000

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Emerge wrote:

> Hi all I had to reinstall my Linux system and I do not know how to make the 'ifup ppp0' device and script available to users
> it works fine as root
> As a user it reports Device cannot be controlled by users

If you are useing RedHat then all you need to do is
set
USERCTL="yes"
in /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-ppp0

Then a normal user will be able up the link with either

usernetctl ppp0 up
usernetctl ppp0 down

Or if they have access to X then usernet will give them a point amd click way
to activate the net.

If you're not useing a RedHat clone then there are other ways to do it as
well.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein