[plug] re: proxy and dns settings

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Sat Aug 12 16:32:13 WST 2000

On 12 Aug 2000 jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au wrote:

> i asked my ISP if I could setup on my Linux box proxy and DNS and they
> stated this was fine, question do i have to stop the services add the
> settings and restart the services or is it dynamic.

Jon,
do you mean a cacheing web proxy like squid?
Do you just want a caching DNS server (which is simple), or are you adding
your own network's names? In which case, are you making your network and
names visible to the internet?

Most unix services can be told to re-load their config files, often by
doing a "kill -1" (hangup signal). For bind (DNS server), see the
"ndc" command.
   You have squid and bind already running? These are not standard
services on redhat.    (have i understood correctly?)

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--