[plug] re: proxy and dns settings

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Sat Aug 12 20:57:38 WST 2000

Copy for the list (the unmentionable header got me, I use Netscape as a
mailer, must change _soon_).

jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au wrote:
> i want to cache my ISP proxy and DNS so it'll speed up thing
> both here and at home.

On most RedHattish systems:

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/named start

That starts DNS, which by default is configured to cache.

    cd /etc/rc.d/rc3.d
    ln -s ../init.d/named S45named
    cd ../rc5.d
    ln -s ../init.d/named S45named

That makes it permanent. You will probably find it convenient to define
your own internal names (gateway.miller etc), and you can define
shortcuts as CNAMEs (so, type "ssh tat" instead of "ssh
proxy.tackleandtools.com.au"). Do a "killall -HUP named" to reload the
server after a change, and it's a good idea to bump the serial number
between changes (by convention YYYYMMDDxx, xx being the change number
within the day, the number *must* always be larger to indicate a change
to other hosts).

I use names rather than numbers for signals because it's less disastrous
if you mistype. I've seen someone finish using a telephone, then type
"kill -7 ###" at a console. Ooops. Instant "buss error".

You probably want to tinker with Squid's config (/etc/squid.conf) before
starting it, but other than name and startup sequence number, it's
identical to named. You can combine the DNS and a redirector like Squirm
to kill ads.

--
If life is merely a joke, the question remains: for whose amusement?