Bastard Latin; was Re: [Fwd: Re: [plug] Reply-to headers]

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 14 00:19:58 WST 2000

Garth Atkinson wrote:

> Alex Polglaze wrote:
> >
> > > Nil desperandum carborundum (Don't let the baskets grind you down)...
> > > A bit of bastard latin, from the 1970's...
> > >
> > Get it right Bret(one t)
> >
> > NIL BARSTARDO CARBORUNDUM from the 1950's. Must have been politically
> > corrected.
> >
> > Alex
> PEDANTIC BASTARD from the 2000's. Politically acceptable in virtual
> reality (I hope).

Sorry; in rethinking it, it was "Nil desperandum illegitimos
carborundum".

It is still bastard latin, and, the quote that I have just given, was
the quote, verbatim, that was in fashion, in about 1972-1974.

Both that quote, and, the "1950's" quote, as cited, are equally bastard
Latin, I believe, as they are both incorrect in translation. Both miss
the word in Latin, for "allow".

Howver, as I am not a Latin Master, nor, are my Latin translation books
easily found, at present, I may be wrong...

--

Bret Busby