[plug] /etc/profile

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Aug 14 10:55:06 WST 2000

> if [ `id -gn` = `id -un` -a `id -u` -gt 14 ]; then

Mike,
adding to Brian's comments, this means at a higher level
"if I am a regular user with my own personal group" (give group write
access to files I create).

Also '[' has to be the weirdest name for a Unix command. I'm sure its a
cute hack, but its also disgustingly inconsistent.

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root      4 Feb 10  2000 /usr/bin/[ -> test*

Note that the opening '[' is a command, and the closing ']' is an argument
to that command. Yet another reason why "shell" programming is a health
hazard. Choose perl! (or TCL, or python, or scheme, ...)

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--