[plug] fetchmail and postfix

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Aug 14 11:37:14 WST 2000

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, russ wrote:

> I'm trying to use fetchmail and postfix to handle mail. I have an
> account which I get the mail from using fetchmail. This seems to work.
> Meaning fetchmail picks up the mail but I don't know where it is
> ending up?

By default, fetchmail will delivery via the local MDA on port 25 (ie
sendmail, postfix, etc,) to the user who runs it. Its all there in the man
page.

> Then I would like the mail received to be sent to the various users on
> the local network. I thought this could be done using postfix and I
> read the tutorial on their web and tried to set up my config. This
> doesn't seem to work. :(

Do you need to collect many users' mail from one mailbox?
See the fetchmail docs for "multidrop" (IIRC). This is not an ideal
situation - many problems.
  Otherwise, get each user to run fetchmail for their own mail.

> Any thoughts, suggestions, pointers to good documents?

/usr/doc/fetchmail*/*   for a start. Lots there.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--