[plug] fetchmail and postfix

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Tue Aug 15 12:02:55 WST 2000

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 11:55:06AM +0800, The Thought Assassin wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Christian wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 12:21:02PM +0800, russ wrote:
> > > Does this mean that each user will need an account on the mail server?
> > Of course!  How else did you plan on doing it?
> There are several simple patches out there to make your smtp/pop daemon
> authenticate via a database, via PAM, or via whatever.

Maybe I'm misreading you but *authenticating* via some other method is
trivial but, as far as I know, most mail servers assume each user has a
separate mail spool file in the appropriate directory (plus separate
mail folders somewhere else like their home directory).  There's no
reason why you can't do it another way (authentication and mail spool
information stored in a database would be kinda neat in a lot of ways)
but I haven't heard of any widespread implementations that do it this
way.  You would have to modify the mail server (or at least really hack
their configurations) and the IMAP/POP servers and it would probably end
up being more than simple patch.  Still, there's no reason why it can't
be done which is why I asked how else he planned on doing it.

Regards,

Christian.