[plug] horrors!

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Fri Aug 18 13:56:02 WST 2000

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 01:19:22PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:

> > Dead?
>
> And falling. Won't hit the ground for many years, corporate Bandersnatch
> that it is.

A lot can happen in a month in the computer industry.  Imagine what can
happen in years.  You'd have to be a fool to make predictions about
what's going to happen years from now.

> > [Microsoft] Nothing to do with Linux?  Some company is porting
> > their apps to Linux.
>
> Uh, some company is _rumoured_ to be porting their apps. Microsoft are
> denying and co in question is not returning calls. An extremely
> well-timed rumour, too, in the face of Eazel PR1, a few recent extremely
> positive Mozilla reviews and much hoohaw about StarOffice and other
> MS-Office competitors.

Well, it's on Mainsoft's website that they are porting Windows apps to
Linux so if that still makes it a rumour then StarOffice being LGPL'd is
a rumour too.  Microsoft are denying that THEY are doing it, they're not
denying that it's happening.  Funny, this is what I predicted yesterday
before it was all over Slashdot.

> Microsoft are *always* rumoured (sometimes officially, sometimes not) to
> be on the verge of producing something worth waiting for... or, more
> pointedly, not buying a competing product to. How much do you think it
> would be worth to Microsoft to keep the Linux office-suite market
> suppressed even a little for a year or two?

Yeah, I think I already said this yesterday.