[plug] horrors!

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Fri Aug 18 15:16:45 WST 2000

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Christian wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 10:56:28AM +0800, The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > > GPL is not a quick cure for poor design and heavy bloat. Example netscape,
> > Mozilla did not start off with a working codebase.
> I think the original Mozilla code did more or less work --
> I'm basing this purely on the show that was on SBS recently <...>

I'm basing my view on the fact that they threw it out. :)

> > > need I say more! I doubt anyone has the guts to learn how staroffice works
> > > enough to strip all the crap out of it.
> > A whole lot of people have learnt to do it with Mozilla which was a _far_
> > harder target. StarOffice is already composed of many parts that are just
> > over-integrated. Mozilla was a monolithic mess, hence the complete
> > rewrite.
> Why would Mozilla be a harder target than SO?
* Less modularity. An office suite already has perforations for you to
  tear along.
* A heavier reliance on system libraries and hence platform-dependent
  code.
* Given the complexity of the various tasks, I think SO is relatively
  faster and more stable, hence probably better-coded.
* A much newer and hopefully less crufty codebase.
* An already usable codebase should mean more developers will jump on
  board initially.

> SO would consist of more code and, given it's less than stellar
> performance, the code would probably be in worst shape.
I don't think it is that slow relative to netscape. :)

-Greg Mildenhall