[plug] Gut modem für Linux? [those blinkinglights again]

Len Bird lenbird at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 18 20:53:19 WST 2000

All right, but to get to the point of the original posting, Internal Modems
have a bad reputation mostly because if they are left "On-line" during a
thundertsorm or similar the Computer itself is put at risk. I bought an Acer
v 90 External Modem recently for $100 if I remember rightly and to date it
has performed flawlessly. I think that cost was a consideration with the
party concerned, and so far the responses listed have not addressed this.  So
far the Acer has performed as well as the spec.claims it will,

I have had a few unscheduled disconnections, but cannot attribute this to the
Modem. bear in mind it takes two to tango, and Iinet are not blameless in
this area. perhaps they have shares in Telstra. I hope this helps.
Incidentally whether you use an internal or external modem it is safe
practice to physically disconnect the telephone line when not using the
modem.