[plug] Lists in BASH

Garth Atkinson garth at cclinic.com.au
Sat Aug 19 17:30:39 WST 2000

Bash 2.0 has associative arrays, bash 1.4 doesnt. I'm not sure what
you are trying to do with example you supplied.

Do you want variable lists like in Python?

ie

data="matt,leon,tony"

for reprobate in data
	print reprobate

would give you:

matt
leon
tony

To achieve the above in bash you need something like this
(untested):

data="matt,leon,tony"

IFS=","
data="NOTZEROLENGTH"

while [ -z "$data" ] ; do
	echo $data | read reprobate data
	echo $reprobate
done

(I am assuming data gets set to zero length in the fourth loop)

Garth