[plug] re; DNS settings

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Sun Aug 20 12:49:45 WST 2000

On 20 Aug 2000 jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au wrote:

> What I would like to know is why is this pointing to gateway.mmtnetworks.com.au instead of mail.mmtnetworks.com.au
live:~# host -C mmtnetworks.com.au
mmtnetworks.com.au      NS      netsrvr.ami.com.au
netsrvr.ami.com.au      hostmaster.ami.com.au   (2000012502 10800 900
864000 86400)
mmtnetworks.com.au      NS      gateway.mmtnetworks.com.au
netsrvr.ami.com.au      hostmaster.ami.com.au   (2000012502 10800 900
864000 86400)
 *** mmtnetworks.com.au SOA record at gateway.mmtnetworks.com.au is not
authoritative
mmtnetworks.com.au has lame delegation to gateway.mmtnetworks.com.au

your machine claims not to be authoritative for mmtnetworks
It is likely you made a typo in your zone file and it has refused to load
it, and as a result it is passing on to you data it retrieves from your
secondary (which still has the old info)

Check your logfiles to see what errors bind came up with.

Also, note that you are not supposed to point an MX record at a CNAME
record, so you will need to change
mail		IN	CNAME	gateway
mail		IN	A	203.55.31.186

If you haven't already.

Remember also to increment the serial number every time you make a change,
so your secondary will automatically update.

Most DNS admins use the YYYYMMDDNN format eg
2000082000 for the first update today (2000 Aug 08 00)
2000082001 for the second update today
2000082100 for the first update tomorrow.

 - Matt