[plug] Connecting a mobile

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Aug 21 10:09:11 WST 2000

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Scott, Simon wrote:

> Reminds me:
>
> Im trying to setup a PPP dialup to my home server, on the same line that is
> used for ISP dialup. For this reason, I have to use UUGETTY as opposed to
> MGETTY, cos MGETTY locks the modem.

No it doesn't.

Mgetty only locks the modem while it is initialising it, and then leaves
it unlocked until it detects a RING - and if it notices another program
locking the device it will say out of its way.

> Anyhow, I cant seem to get the thing to work. I initially got it working for
> normal dialin/login, but Ive tried different ways of getting PPP to work.
> Initially I got dropped with an error along the lines of 'remote IP
> unauthorized' but now I just get dropped, nothing in log....

Check you don't have "auth" enabled in the client's /etc/ppp/options and
that you are not specifying an IP address there,
then get mgetty to specify an IP address to pppd in
/etc/mgetty/login.config

> Does anyone have experience with setting up PPP servers?

Yes. Mgetty is the way to go.

 - Matt