[plug] policy issue - need to restart computers

Hasleby Mike hasm at ljbc.wa.edu.au
Mon Aug 21 10:39:11 WST 2000

Hi All,
Sorry if this causes offense and if the powers that be object to me
posting this please feel free to remove it - no offense taken but

This isn't a linux question but this group seems most likely to be able
to help me solve our problem
Our school uses linux file servers and we have a policy that students
can't use a computer unless they log on to the studentnet domain.  The
policy is enforceable with win98 machines (about 1/2 them are) but not
95.  After 18 months, students have recently found they can change the
domain from "studentnet" to anything - usually done by adding a period
at the end of the domain so when the computer was restarted the change
wouldn't be spotted and the poor student trying to log on wouldn't have
access to their h: drive (home dir on the server).  After about 20
seconds of trying to find the newly named domain Win95 gives up and
yields itself over to be used anyway (minus an h: drive).

I know that you can run a line in debug ( -g=ffff:0000) which runs the
P.O.S.T) hence restarts the computer but I'm wondering if anyone knows
how to restart the computer from the dos prompt (or knows of a small
program or any other way of doing so).  (Unfortunately neither the debug
trick nor a program called "restart" work in the windows environment.  I
need to find something that will.

If this is possible we can write a program that tests to see if there is
an H: drive present - if so fine, if not, the computer displays a
warning message that the domain studentnet must be accessed before the
computer can be used, then restarts.

TIA
Mike Hasleby