[plug] Re: [plug] modems

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 21 10:52:12 WST 2000

Brian Tombleson wrote:

<snip>

> Adding my 2c worth.  I've got a linux box gateway on a permanent dial-up.
> Not a fancy modem, just a regular external (about $90 worth) and I can get
> burst speeds of up to 80K/s with regular downloading between 50-60K/s about
> 30% of the time.  Most common is around the 45-50K/s mark but rarely lower.

<snip>

I have had downloads showing at up to 10 kilobytes/second, and usually
at around 4-8 kilobytes/second, dropping as low as 8 bytes/second, and
stalling, depending on what is happening. These speeds are what shows in
the line at the bottom of the Netscape window (running on Win98, via the
RH6, now 6.2, gateway/firewall). So, I accept the speeds shown as
reasonably reliable. The speed shows in bytes/second, up to 1000, or, in
k/second, which I take as kilobytes/second.

That is with me as a single user on the LAN, and therefore the only user
of the modem (33600 bps).

If the download speeds show at up to 10 kilobytes/second, which is 80
kilobits/second, which seems to be the fasted download speed of a 50k
modem, I wonder whether having a 56k modem is of any advantage?

--

Bret Busby