[plug] Squid

Paul Baumgarten paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Mon Aug 21 15:04:05 WST 2000

> A quick question re: squid. How easy/hard would it be to put a usr/pass
> combination to prevent access to the Internet from the corporate LAN?

Too easy.

The squid-cache.org page has all the doco's.  I have it running here.
You just need a few ACL's and some type of program/script that will
return OK or ERR for any user name / password pair.  For my
authenticator I just have an "expect" script that attempts to login, if
it works then username/password is valid, if it doesn't it isn't.
Alternatively if not all your users are have accounts on your linux box
you can just as easily authenticate against an NT or Novell box.

--
Paul Baumgarten
Information Systems Manager, Kingsway Christian College
Email: paul at bauma.com.au or paul at kcc.wa.edu.au
Mobile: 041 994 2779