[plug] Community Hacking...

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Aug 22 14:22:12 WST 2000

It is hard for me to write this in English.  I'm sorry if my it hard
to understand what I try to express.

[Christian]
> Why was it not bound to happen?

The issue for me is what to accept and what to not accept, and which
consequences to draw from the things that happend.  I believe most
people offered trust will show trust and responsibility in return.

Someone made a request for help by offering trust to the PLUG mailing
list.  This is something that should be done more often.  Those
offering this trust needs to make sure they can afford to have this
trust broken.

When it is claimed that this request for help is _bound_ to be misused
is to me another way of saying it is wrong to request help by offering
trust to the plug mailing list.  I do not find this is acceptable.

If someone misuses the trust, this is both stupid, short sighted and
hopefully illegal.  And the act is not acceptable.

When you disabled .bash_history, and thus made it impossible to keep
an eye on the things done to the machine, you broke the trust given to
the mailing list.  When you locked down the machine and made the offer
of trust disappear, I believe you indirectly accepted the acts by
peoples misusing an offer.  I do not think this is acceptable.

If someone opens their house and invites everyone who wants to give it
a try in to try to fix a problem, and someone starts trashing the
house, I hope it is obvious who did the bad things and who did the
acceptable things.

Locking the door and letting the house owner know that this is not the
way to get help is not a stupid thing to do, but I do not think it is
acceptable either.
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen <##    | pere at td.org.uit.no
 O-  <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>
http://www.hungry.com/~pere/    | Go Mozilla, go! Go!